FLORIDA CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEYS - Law Firm covering Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach



Ft. Lauderdale Office
1132 SE Third Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

Miami Office
701 Brickell Avenue
Suite #1550
Miami, FL 33131

Boca Raton Office
2385 NW Executive Center Drive
Suite 100
Boca Raton, FL 33431

Contact Us
Toll-Free 24/7: 1-844-49-LEGAL
Palm Beach:561-962-3531




Q. What will happen to me if I commit a new crime while on probation?

A. After your probation officer learns of your arrest, he or she will most likely present a warrant for your arrest to the judge, who will sign the warrant.  The police will be notified and may arrive at your home in order to arrest you.  Or, if you are stopped by the police for any reason they will immediately transport you to jail because of the existing warrant.

You should hire an experienced probation violation attorney before admitting any violations.  Otherwise, you could be admitting to the new crime and helping the prosecutor prove that case.  Our criminal defense attorneys can usually resolve both the violation and new crime with a “package deal.”

Q. Do I have to go to jail if I violate my probation –if so, for how long?

A. If you violate a term or condition of your probation, the probation officer will request the judge to sign a warrant for your arrest.  Most judges will not allow a bond for a violation of probation.  This means if you are arrested on that warrant, you will go to jail and will not be able to bond out. If there are special circumstances, we can request that a judge set a bond or allow electronic monitoring as a condition of letting you out of jail while your violation of probation hearing is pending.

In most probation violation cases, we can resolve the violation by admitting the allegations in the warrant and agreeing to time served.  Violations such as not reporting to probation may be resolved with little or no jail time.  If you commit a new crime or failure a urine test, the judge will require a significant amount of jail time.  A dirty urine violation may be able to resolved with a treatment program instead of jail.

Q. If I am arrested for a violation of probation, how long before you can get a hearing in front of the judge?

A. It depends on the judge.  Each judge has different schedules and policies when it comes to setting VOP hearings.  Our probation violation attorneys know each judge’s tendencies and policies.  We can get a hearing as quickly as the next day.   Under certain circumstances, it may take longer depending upon the judge’s schedule.  The maximum time to get a probation violation hearing is usually 7 days. 


Please fill out the form for a FREE case evaluation




Tell us about your case:

Are you a human being?
Incorrect please try again
Enter the words above: Enter the numbers you hear:


Home | Firm Overview | Resource Links | Our Case Dismissals | Contact us | FAQ's

Copyright 2014 - O'Toole Law Firm

The Attorneys at O'Toole Law Firm proudly serve the state of Florida including the areas of Fort Lauderdale, Miami - Dade, Palm Beach, and Naples
Fort Lauderdale Criminal Defense Lawyers for Miami, Dade, Palm Beach & Broward FL

Some Florida cities covered by our criminal defense lawyers are:

Coconut Creek, Coral Springs, Dania, Davie, Deerfield Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Hallandale, Lauderhill, Lighthouse Point, Margate, Miramar, Oakland Park, Parkland, Pembroke Pines, Plantation, Pompano Beach, Sunrise, Tamarac, Weston, Wilton Manors, Aventura, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables,
Hialeah, Homestead, Kendall, Key Biscayne, Miami, Naples, Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach, Jupiter, Lake Worth, Palm Beach

Contact Top Criminal Defense Attorneys